Door alignment or body problem?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Door alignment or body problem?

Driver side will not close unless slammed too hard for comfort. At first I thought it was the weather stripping, but looking more closely it looks like something is not aligned. The door cannot be securely closed by just pushing on it. The door gaps are just about perfect when it is closed. Passenger side is fine. Idea's?

Click image for larger version

Name:	P1020256rs.JPG
Views:	222
Size:	188.8 KB
ID:	541485

Name:	P1020258rs.JPG
Views:	137
Size:	225.5 KB
ID:	541486

Name:	P1020259rs.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	154.2 KB
ID:	541487

Last edited by 46er; 04-28-2021, 04:25 PM.
    Ralph
    TR250
    MGB
    VW GTI

Check the door striker on the B post. There is some adjustment there.
    It's normal to see some wear at the spot on the door corner in your first pic.
    Mine looks the same.
    Also, the weather strip piece on the windscreen A post is available in 2 different thicknesses, to allow for variance in the body panel assemblies.
    Maybe the thinner version would work better on the left side.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

How are all the body panel gaps around the whole car? Can we get a rear-to-front shot of the left lines vs right? Or go from front to back. What you should see is a barely perceptible bow-out at the doors as the corners are closer together don't and back than the doors. There should be no hard kink in the bow as the line carries from hood/for my fenders, into the door through the B piller, and along the fender/trunk gap.
      Also, how well do the bottom corners of the doors match the tub lines?

My driver's door always had a bad gap at the top/rear corner, fit loosely, and rattled a good bit no matter how hard I slammed the door. Both bottom corners matched the lower line. The B pillar had been knocked in a bit, and it showed sighting down the left-side lines as a pronounced "kink" in the "bowed-line," and sloppy fit of the door at the rear fender/B pillar.
      ‚ÄčThe top/rear corner of the door appeared to 'not match" or line up on the B pillar near the aluminum trim cap. Had I worked the edge closer, the bottom rear edge corner would have been inboard of the fender's forward edge by 1/4".

I mention this because your last picture shows a pretty inconsistent door gap by the door mirror, and looks almost as if the door is partially open...or the car is linked in the middle.

Comment

Thanks for the responses.

The gaps look pretty darn good to me, that's what has me confused. I was thinking another washer where the door is attached just below the windshield but that would probably extend the front edge of the door out at the top. If the weather strip were removed I'm pretty sure their would be metal to metal contact. The last picture has the door slightly open, I leave it that way, it takes too much force to close, concerned the side glass might break.

All the pictures I currently have at the link, includes some before I purchased it. I will get some better ones today.

https://pbase.com/46er/tr_250
        Ralph
        TR250
        MGB
        VW GTI

Comment

pull the striker on the b pillar out some
          1972 Sapphire TR6 #CC84,something

1973 Harvest Yellow MGB V8

Comment

I lowered the window and it is much easier to close the door, no hard slamming, so it appears the weather stripping is the cause. Both sides have the smaller diameter weather strip that bas suggested. When I have the stripes put on I'll ask the body shop to check it out.

A picture at the problem area with the door closed.

Click image for larger version  Name:	P1020266RS.JPG Views:	0 Size:	141.2 KB ID:	541513
            Last edited by 46er; 04-29-2021, 04:00 PM.
            Ralph
            TR250
            MGB
            VW GTI

Comment

Door alignment or body problem?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,978   Active Members: 579
            Welcome to our newest member, icomoljekogim.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X