color change planning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• color change planning

There's probably no right answer for this, but maybe good for some discussion. Apologies if I've asked this before, but I'll need to decide something in the next couple of weeks or so.

I'm doing a sort of rolling restoration on my '69 TR6, because I don't have the money or space for a body-off restoration, and because I'd like to maintain some driving time with it along the way. Currently I have the engine and gearbox out for rebuilding, and I'm fixing a few other things while I have good access: rotten battery box, and floor pans.

My car was originally Jasmine yellow, resprayed a sort of orangey red at some point, but it wasn't a great paint job. This is most obvious in the engine bay where there are obvious runs, rough patches, and places where the pant has just fallen off over the years. Some areas seem to have had undercoating they was just painted over. So I'm going to repaint the engine bay before I put the engine back in, the question is the color. I'd like to eventually get back to that original color for the car.

Option 1: The easy choice for now would be to have NAPA match the color I have (I'm sure I can find a large loose flake for them to scan), then tackle body work and color change at some point down the road. The upside to this is that I could potentially do repairs to panels piecemeal over time, then do the color change as a simpler respray.

Option 2: Part of me also thinks that body work is a PITA, and the engine bay is extra fiddly to strip and reassemble, and I should paint the engine bay yellow now, so I don't have to redo it at color change time. The obvious drawback is having an engine bay that's a different color than the rest of the car. I'd also just take the car off the road for a while to do the full body at one time.

Option3: Paint the engine bay satin black and stop worrying about having it match the rest of the car. I'm not sure why, but I'm not crazy about this idea, I feel like it should match the body (you know, eventually).

Either way, I'm aiming for a decent-looking driver rather than concours (probably a little more pedestrian than Tush does with his), and when it's time to paint the whole car I will either shoot it myself or take it to MAACO. A realistic timeline for full body work is 3-5 years (as I recover from the cost of the engine work).

Ok, enough story. Opinions?
    Bill Connell
    1969 TR6 CC28790
    TR6 project log
    St. Paul MN

If it were mine, I'd definitely return it to the factory painted color. Jasmine is very 1969-period beautiful.

You could spray the engine bay with correctly matched rattle cans (four 12oz cans should be plenty), leaving the bonnet underside for when the exterior gets repainted.
    Your local NAPA should be able to match the code; I have purchased from paintscratch.com for 20 years with good results.

MAACO quality varies greatly from dealership to dealership. I would never return to them after the Baltimore job they did on my '69 Impala.
    Walt
    CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
    poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

For what it’s worth, my 72 was Jasmine. I chanted it to Pimento (orange red) an original color option. When I rebuilt the car 11-12 years ago, I found the DuPont paint swatch online, printed it and took it to the Dupont paint store with a Pimento chip that someone sent me from under the dash of an original Pimento car. They found the color formula in the computer and also scanned the chip. The two formulas were almost identical, so I went with the original in a base clear coat arrangement for depth of color. At the time I left the engine bay satin black. I was never happy with it as while this is common for American made classics it sticks out like a sore thumb at car shows and gatherings. So years later I took the Pimento chip to a PPG store. They scanned it and mixed a single stage paint, I cleaned it, masked it off and sprayed it on the driveway. If I didn’t tell you they were different paint brands and methods and years years apart, you wouldn’t notice the difference.

My advise is to choose either Jasmine or probably Pimento (go to my homepage for a picture) and do the engine bay in that. Don’t do black if you plan on going to gatherings where other British cars will be there or to maintain the best resale value - it will be a clear indication of a repaint. Of course, if that doesn’t bother you then do what pleases.
      72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
      67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

Why not just leave it until you’re ready to do the entire thing. Pulling the engine/gearbox only takes a couple hours. Do it Right when you’re ready. And BTW, I dig Jasmine! Mellow Yellow
        So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
        68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
        71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
        81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

I agree with Todd. When you are ready to paint, pull the engine a trans then. It’s only a weekends worth of work to pull the engine and any ancillary bits out of the engine bay.

Cheers,
          Tush
          81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
          73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
          62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
          60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
          https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

color change planning

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,458   Posts: 489,752   Members: 14,980   Active Members: 580
          Welcome to our newest member, ahgedott.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
          X