Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TRF Wood Dash Panel Maintenance

Hello All,

Just curious as to what other members are using on their wood dash panels to keep them in top shape? I've seen references to bee's wax and johnson's paste wax. I'd be more inclined to use bee's wax, but thought I'd check with the masses. I haven't called TRF to ask them yet.

Cheers!

Depends on the finish. The high gloss varnish aftermarket planks like Randy at Prestigue used to make, only require wiping with a moist cloth.
    Open grain finishes would need a bit more care.
    CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
    2nd owner, since 1975
    Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

The TRF dash panels have a matte finish, not high gloss. I'll ping Albert & co. and post my findings.

Comment

I don’t know that I’d use beeswax, I’d think it would be right difficult to buff out. Go with the paste wax, it’s designed specifically as a wood finish and will stand up to the sun a little better. And, as baws points out, it really depends on what’s on the wood now. If it’s some sort of polyurethane or varnish a damp cloth will do, or if really needs a clean any decent furniture cleaner will work, what do you use on the kitchen table? That’ll probably do.
        ‘70 TR-6

Comment

I would think they all have some kind of sealer, be it matte or glossy. I don't think I would use any kind of wax.
          72 Pimento w/overdrive - Lilred
          67 4A Royal Blue - Lilblue

Comment

If the finish is appropriate for the essentially outdoor application, it shouldn't need anything on top of it. I'd hope it is some kind of modern two-part catalyzed finish, or a true marine varnish. They are both very durable.

Ed
            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Are the pores or grain sealed ? In other words, does the surface feel like glass, shinny or dull no matter, is it smooth as glass or can you feel the texture and grain of the wood if you draw your fingernail across it ?
              I can feel the grain on mine, so I use an oil and I use wax because it's going onto and into the wood. The finish is not really "impervious"or hard like a varnish or urethane coating might be..
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs
              email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Longtime woodworker here and have sold finished wood things for a long time.

First rule is definitely to only use what the maker suggests. They know what finish they used and what cleaners or treatments will be compatible.

As for finishes, I absolutely refuse to use matte finishes because they are terrible to clean, show oil and soap spots horribly and of course they cannot be buffed out.

On waxes, don’t use automotive type paste waxes as they will eventually dry in any grain pockets and turn ugly white.
                1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
                Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
                Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
                Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
                Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
                www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Just spoke with Dan at TRF and he said they use Lemon Pledge. ;-)

Comment

Originally posted by Jammin 6 View Post
                    Just spoke with Dan at TRF and he said they use Lemon Pledge. ;-)
                    Did he say what type of wood it was and what, if any, finish was on it?
                    Ralph
                    TR250

Comment

Lemon Pledge and similar surface treatments are mainly just scented light mineral oil and/or silicone oil. They can clean the surface and make it a little shinier temporarily, and probably don't do any harm to a proper finish. The whole "feeds the wood" or "replaces natural oils" thing is mostly just marketing hokum.

You can just use light mineral oil if you can do without the citrus scent.

Ed
                      For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

All those who have worked on or refurbished a TR6 Factory hardtop know there are some parts you just cannot find. The vent/ screen are not made but a refurbished set ( minus screens) can be ordered from EJ Ward in England.

The roof to body mounts are not made any more so you have to come up with a used set from a trashed out top and then there are the headliner roof bows. GT6 bows ( which seem to be getting hard to find as well) can be modified to fit but you need a pattern to work off. I recently found a set of GT6 bows and was loaned TR6 roof bows to use as a pattern. but as I am looking at these things it seems so easy to make something that would work as well as the originals.

Who would have thought something so simple looking would be so hard to make. The big custom shops with all the right equipment are not interested in making them, the smaller shops without the equipment and resources cannot or will not even think about making them,

I am sure all kinds of things have been used ( Curtin rods to pipe) and have done just fine, it just seems that somebody should have figured out how to make something close to the original.

I finally found a shop that at least would look at the bows, but of course the first question is how many do I need because thats going to dive the price.

So to that end...... how many people would be interested in a complete set ( 3 bows) the correct shape and length with the end pieces in place. At this point I dont know if the shop will come through with wanting to make them or what the cost might be but it would help if we could get 4-6 sets made.

Comment

• Jammin 6
                          Jammin 6 commented
                          Editing a comment
                          I'm not sure this is the right thread for a post regarding hardtop parts. You may want to create a new post to gain more attention. Welcome to 6-pack!

TRF Wood Dash Panel Maintenance

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,411   Posts: 489,282   Members: 14,548   Active Members: 616
                      Welcome to our newest member, KazvosaBouth.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                      X