Refurbish TR6 hardtop

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Refurbish TR6 hardtop

I helped a guy fix the rust on his TR6 and he graciously gave me a factory hardtop for a TR6.
    The headliner is torn and I am going to order various bits and pieces from the Roadster Factory to refurbish the top.
    I noticed that the rubber seals are glued in so I am assuming that I will have to replace them after I remove them to get the headliner out and to replace it.
    My question is about the fuzzy door seals, are they glued in also?
    If they are then they may not survive the removal process.
    I would like to hear from someone that has done this so that I do not order stuff that is reusable.
    Thanks
    Byron

My advice: If you're doing the headliner in a hardtop, replace all the rubber and seals as a matter of course.

Now...the fuzzy door seals aren't technically part of the hardtop so not certain you'd have to do anything to them when you're fiddling with the hardtop itself.
    73 TR6
    Libertyville, IL
    My TR6

Comment

Normally the fuzzy seals are a pinch channel that you tap lightly to push it onto the channel. It remains put pretty well without any glue
      So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
      67 GT6 Mk1
      68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
      71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
      81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

The only seal on mine that is glued on is the very front header seal. The seals along the upper fender edge might be glued in, but I don’t remember and it’s currently installed.
        1973 TR6 – BRG with beige interior, custom LED lighting
        Hardtop, OD, Rollbar, 15”Koenigs
        Bored, balanced and polished motor with PI cam, hi-comp head, triple DCOE's
        Header, custom exhaust, custom alternator, e-fan
        Lowered, poly suspension, Konis and rear anti roll-bar
        www.coventrysfinest.blogspot.com

Comment

Byron-Maybe slightly off topic, but I suggest that you run a tap (5/16"-24) through the front bracket holes before installing the new headliner. The brackets contain caged nuts and if they are rusty, the nuts will spin in the brackets when attempting to tighten the bolt. It is much easier to deal with the problem without the headliner in place.
          Berry

Comment

Tapping the captive nuts is a great suggestion, that would be a bummer if you had to go back after fitting the headliner. I'll suggest that some sound deadener (pick our brand, I used RattleTrap), the difference is massive. Also, practice folding some cloth or paper around the B pillar, I found that the trickiest bit of the whole operation. Oh, and have a few boxes of Acco binder clips handy!

Comment

Oh, I didn't do the sound deadener under the cross supports, didn't seem to have enough room. And the supports are not all the same! Take your time and it will be great when you are done. I love the TR with the hardtop, its rare that I take mine off.
              Attached Files

Comment

Dayemn that car looks great
                So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
                67 GT6 Mk1
                68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
                71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
                81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Thanks, she's my baby, the hard top makes it such a nice drive in the Spring and the Fall. I take it off so infrequently I forgot how great the TR6 exhaust sounds while I had it off to do the headliner. When I got the top I had it dipped and e-coated and a friend color matched it to the car. I need to find a decent pair of chrome trims that go around the c-pillar at the back, the one I sourced from the big three are all too short.
                  So should a 69 have a hardtop? I don't care!

Oh, BTW BWA the GT6 grills fit really well. If I think about something long enough the details eventually come back!

There is a nice looking hard top on Long Island CL right now, if I had space I'd grab it as a spare! NFI

https://newyork.craigslist.org/que/p...259446478.html

Comment

If they are the original door seals, I suggest you save them.

I have found NO ONE who has the original style.

Save, preserve and reuse them.
                    '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                    Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                    Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                    Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                    Redlines always.
                    My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Refurbish TR6 hardtop

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,326   Posts: 488,526   Members: 13,631   Active Members: 619
                    Welcome to our newest member, Banwoganalk.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
                    X