Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seat Belt Bolt extraction from middle pillar

Hi All,

Started the next project yesterday to replace my TR6 interior....Pulled up the carpets and started to remove the passenger and driver seat belts. When I tried to remove the seat belt bolt anchoring the the middle pillar, there was a crunching sound and the bolt turned but is not loosening...I understand there should be a nut welded to a backing plate preventing that from happening...I need to somehow get behind the rear fender to put a wrench on the spinning nut....Is it possible to lift up the lower portion of the rear fender to get access to it or am I resigned to remove the entire fender thereby creating additional scope for this project way beyond what I bargaining for??

Others will know better than me, but I think you are going to have a problem...if you are talking about the anchoring bolts that are on the b post, on the door opening sides. The captive nut is not accessible....

Cheers
    Tush
    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

The "crunching sound" is bad news, SeaHag. It was probably the sound of the nut, or maybe the entire bracket, tearing away from the rusted out sheet metal of the tub. The repair won't be fun. Ask me how I know. Below is the new bracket.

Ed

For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by ed_h View Post
        The "crunching sound" is bad news, SeaHag. It was probably the sound of the nut, or maybe the entire bracket, tearing away from the rusted out sheet metal of the tub. The repair won't be fun. Ask me how I know. Below is the new bracket.

Ed

Ed --- How are you able to post photos?

Dick

Comment

If you are talking about the b pillar, I had the same thing happen. The end caps ar available through the big 3. You can use a large drill bit to make a hole in the end cap, then kinda wallow it out. Use a bright flashlight to look inside to see what is going on. I was blue to then use a pair of needle nose vice grips to grab the nut and replace it with a fresh one.

Comment

Dick-

It must be uploading images to the server that is not working. Links to images hosted elsewhere, like another web site, seem to still work.

Ed
            For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

Originally posted by memphisbigdave View Post
              If you are talking about the b pillar, I had the same thing happen. The end caps ar available through the big 3. You can use a large drill bit to make a hole in the end cap, then kinda wallow it out. Use a bright flashlight to look inside to see what is going on. I was blue to then use a pair of needle nose vice grips to grab the nut and replace it with a fresh one.
              Did you weld the hole back up Dave or did you put a rubber plug in the sill cap?

Just curious.

Cheers
              Tush
              81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
              73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
              62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
              60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
              https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Yes, I"m talking about the Bolt that goes into the lower B-Pillar...correct images above of the offending bolt....The outside of the car is damn near mint so I'm really disheartened knowing there is obviously some rust in hidden places... I suspect by drilling out the endcap I will be just kicking the can down the road for more fabrication work....Although its the last thing I want to do I guess i'm going to pull that fender off....Any helpful hints out there on how to leaving minimal collateral damage behind ?? There is really nothing in the Triumph manual on the process.. Thanks all for guidance....

Comment

I filled the hole with undercoating. The end cap is actually in the rocker, not the fender. The nut had just come un brazed. There was no other rust. If after looking in there, you can then decide which way to go.

Comment

Seat Belt Bolt extraction from middle pillar

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,707   Posts: 481,539   Members: 8,376   Active Members: 231
                  Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                  X