Correct 1972 Rear Fender Decal

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Correct 1972 Rear Fender Decal

I am a new TR6 owner after owning 2 TR4A's and a GT6+. I recently purchased an early 1972 model TR6 (CC75665LO) that seems to be a cross-over between a 1971 and a 1972. According to Bill Piggot's book on originality, the 1972 model should have a seat belt warning circuit with a buzzer and a warning light in the dash. The wiring diagram I got from Prosperos Garage for a 1972 seems to back this up. Mine does not have this circuit or a hole for the warning light. Additionally, it should have the TR6 decals on the rear fenders (wings) but mine has the Union Jacks. From everything I have been able to determine from previous owners, the car has not been repainted and is near original. Am I crazy or is this wrong? If they should be the TR6 decals, does anyone have any suggestions on how to remove the old Union Jack decals without marring the paint? I have had suggestions to use a heat gun sparingly and a plastic scraper.

Yeah, I have a Feb 72 car. It has the seat belt buzzer and light which I disconnected and repurposed the light to an overdrive light. The TR6 is correct but most owners like the jacks better. Heat gun and plastic scraper works - take your time try not to tear the sticker and you can use it to pull as you heat putting the scraper down.
    I72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

It may have been repainted. Your car is the 665th 1972 car. My car is a late 71 and the seat belt buzzer has been disconnected, but no warning lamp on dash. Removed the original rubber things under the seat which had the white plastic sensors when i replaced them. Maybe the warning lamp came later in production, if not your dash has been replaced and wiring modified

Comment

Definitely the 72 had the TR6 sticker, not the Union Jack. I like the TR6 stickers better, and some day when I work up the courage I’m gonna remove the Jacks and install the TR6 ones on my 73.
        SR
        73 TR6. HT/AC/OD
        86 930
        91 535i

Comment

One of the tells, as to whether or not a TR6 has been resprayed, is to look at the front, behind the grill. If original, it will be flat black, with the black paint having been roughly applied with a paint brush at the factory. When most 6's are repainted, that area come out body color. I didn't paint mine behind the grill till years after I had her repainted.
          Last edited by baws; 12-24-2019, 10:14 AM. Reason: spelling
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Triumph Driver, your very early '72 is similar to mine, commission #CC75742LO. The Union Jacks were added by a previous owner, same as mine. The wiring in my car corresponds to the '71 diagram, not the '72. You should not have the seat belt light and you probably have the smaller hazard warning switch. This gave us a bit of fun during the mechanical/electrical work. There are a couple of other small differences that we found. Be sure to check both year diagrams.

If you ever replace your dash make sure to check the hazard switch opening. My car came with a replacement dash but the P.O. had sourced a '72. It left a gap around the switch. Have fun with it. My previous '72, delivered 4/1/72 had the seat belt light, and the plastic scuttle vent screen instead of the metal door that I have on this earlier one.

Comment

I think you will find that the 71 wiring diagram is correct as Duff has said. It seems as the cars produced before the end of the year use the 71 wiring and do not have seat sensors nor the light on the dash. I have had 3 pre 72 build date 1972 models and all have been the same with the wiring.One was brand new,one was less than a year old and not changed in any way and my current car that has not had the wiring messed with. Just my own experence

Comment

Correct 1972 Rear Fender Decal

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,707   Posts: 481,539   Members: 8,376   Active Members: 231
              Welcome to our newest member, oozuraro.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
              X