QuickJack no 5000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Couple of things:
    1. The lowest ground clearance dimensions of my car are the front sway bar mounting blocks 3.5 inches and the rear sway bar Heim Joints 3 inches.
    2. 16 inches between the frames is a bit close. I would like 24 inches minimum. Is that possible?
    3. I am sure that the manufacturer would like the frames to be as parallel as possible. Following the TR6 car frame and lifting points, the QJ frames may not line up parallel. David's picture, even with the camera angle, does not appear to be parallel. How critical is parallel?
    Last edited by TRick6; 05-09-2020, 09:22 PM.
    Best Therapy
    http://www.britishv8.org/Triumph/AlbertGary.htm
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

• DG
      DG commented
      Editing a comment
      Trick, my frames are now very close to parallel and I have 22" between the main frames. With some tweaking, I think you could get just a bit more out of it.

Costco has a sale on the 5000. I asked my member son-in-law to get it. It's on the way. Yea!!!
    Best Therapy
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

• TRick6
      TRick6 commented
      Editing a comment
      My 5000 is in transit and arrives next Thursday. I don't plan on assembling it for a week or so, after I get the dash and other things finished.

Since receiving the QJ, I have been dismantling the rear end the last couple of days ahead of installing the R200B Diff and CV Axles. I can honestly say the QJ has paid for itself already.

In particular, dropping the diff proved very easy - put the QJ into the lower of its two locking positions, slid my improvised transmission jack ( My old office chair with the back removed!) underneath to support it:

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-05-13 17.40.22 (1).jpg Views:	0 Size:	205.8 KB ID:	532012

Then undid the nuts, and simply raised the QJ to its upper position, and rolled out the diff to the rear. Hoping installing the new one will just be a reverse of the above.

Click image for larger version  Name:	2020-05-13 17.40.22 (2).jpg Views:	0 Size:	394.3 KB ID:	532014
    Keith, Huntsville AL, 1971 CC66559U
    10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

• A Brit in Bama
      A Brit in Bama commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I guess we'll see - I like a challenge! To compound, I understand the R200 is a little heavier than the stock diff too.

But I believe I can position the new diff on the seat, with wood blocks etc to keep it in right orientation, and very carefully lower the car using the QJ so the studs go thru the mounting holes. Just for the heck of it, I just managed to get the stock diff back on to the studs using this method ( not fully bolted up, of course) - took just a few mins to jiggle the diff into the right position.

I have found that the QJ is very sensitive/precise, and you can raise/lower just small fractions of an inch. The hydraulics are holding it in the meantime, not the locking bars, so need to be safety aware, and have jack stands in place as a safeguard.

I'll likely enlist the help of a gearhead neighbor if I need to.

• SapphireBlue72
      SapphireBlue72 commented
      Editing a comment
      Well, I had the diff nestled on top of a sandbag which was atop a flat board, delicately balanced atop a rolling floor jack pedestal.
      That didn't offer a lot of control/good balance- which is important in this situation.
      I thought it should be easy, until the front of the diff got hung up under the frame.

Four hands are definitely better than two when shifting around a heavy hunk overhead.
      That QJ is a very nice aide & timesaver.

• TRick6
      TRick6 commented
      Editing a comment
      Hmm yes, to add to the discussion, I had the Nissan diff balanced on the floor jack pad and I recall pushing it under the car and the diff falling off. Well I recall rolling it back on the jack pad and then operating the jack with my leg/foot. It was a trick but I truly believe that if I had more car height, the install would have been tougher. Bama I think my having more diff surfaces to handle assisted in lining it up. I'm not sure the chair is going to help you that much by restricting diff surfaces to place hands. This is a hands on operation. I could be wrong with that and you may just do fine.

Just another comment regarding the QJ, and getting more width between the frames. I have mine now about 19" apart, and have been able to get between them and work just fine (removed the driveshaft for instance). Once you get between the two uprights, there is plenty of space to work.

But I think it will go quite a bit wider if I had additional rubber lifting blocks so I can double them up at both front and rear. The issue in widening them and only using one block at front and rear, is that the frame support area gets reduced the wider they go, due to the angles of the frame. However using two permits a larger area of the frame to be supported safely, meaning I can spread them wider. Probably another 4".

I will try with blocks of 2x4 or similar to prove it out - as those rubber blocks are 'spensive!
    10.0:1 CR gasflowed head | Weber DCOEs | CP "150hp" Cam | Distibutor by Advanced | Lightened flywheel | Phoenix SS Exhaust System | HVDA 5-Speed | Good Parts suspension and anti-roll bars | Good Parts Dual Brake Master Cylinder | Konig Rewinds | Boyd 15 gal tank | Miata Seats and Mr Mikes covers | Carl Visser dash | Mohair hood | Gas-strut bonnet and boot lift kits

Comment

• TRick6
      TRick6 commented
      Editing a comment
      I would be interested in getting 24" between frames. But as you described it, because my car is so low, I would have to take the car up on the frames with the short blocks then let it down temporary on jack stands to spread the frames and install the larger blocks then go up higher. That kinda kills the QJ joy. Ha, I know. I can drive up on flat 2x4x10's to get a bit more car height to see what that gives me for QJ positioning. I will figure it out.

But thanks Bama, it seems I will like the jack system. I think it will be one of those "I never knew how much I needed the QJ until I got it" things. It's arriving this coming Thursday.

And yes, the Nissan diff weighs a ton.
      Last edited by TRick6; 05-14-2020, 05:11 PM.

Rats! The jack system is shipped in 3 boxes. FedEx had scheduled to deliver them all on Thursday, yesterday. Box 3, the hydraulic motor, hoses and controls came Wednesday. Boxes 1, and 2 were also tracked for a delivery Thursday. Nothing Thursday. Box 2, the right frame, came today, and box 1, the left frame and instructions, has been rescheduled for delivery tomorrow, Saturday. Bummer. The FedEx guy drop the frame on the front porch as I was asking him to back his wagon to the garage. No matter, the hand truck made short work of getting it down the driveway to the garage. Thus far the components are very impressive. I hope the assembly goes without surprises. Something to do tomorrow. I do like taking my time at these things. As Ed would say ponder time. Priceless.
    Best Therapy
    Zoom Zoom

Comment

Well FedEx rescheduled the delivery of Box #1 of the 3. Box #1 (the last of the 3) arrived today, Tuesday. Of course Box #1 had the instructions so my anticipated long week end was disappointingly uneventful. So using my hand truck I rolled the box down the driveway into the garage and removed the instructions. You all have heard what a wonderful product this is and how well it is made. I would like to comment on the instruction manual. Underscoring other comments of the manuals thoroughness, here is something I have not read. The instruction manual is of topnotch heavy hi gloss paper. Hell you can take a hose to this thing. It is beautiful, feels great in hand, and will stand up to any grease monkey. I am not going to do anything with this until Saturday when I can dedicate my full attention from start to finish.
      Last edited by TRick6; 05-28-2020, 07:04 AM.
      Best Therapy
      Zoom Zoom

Comment

Well Al, I hope you do like yours as much as I like mine. I wish I'd bought one years ago - I hate to think about all the time it would have saved me...

So the last couple of days, as I await for the shipment of the new diff and CV axles to arrive, I decided to replace the crank main and big-end bearings. While still performed lying on my back, the increased room and stability of the QJs as compared to jack stands makes the job way faster and more enjoyable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0790.jpg
Views:	47
Size:	365.7 KB
ID:	532604

Comment

Keith, I see that your hydraulic lines are off the floor. Is the power control unit in the trunk or have you disconnected the unit and lifted the lines out of the way?

Gosh and look at all the room you have in your garage. What a luxury.
          Best Therapy
          Zoom Zoom

Comment

• A Brit in Bama
            A Brit in Bama commented
            Editing a comment
            Those are just the short lines you can see, Al. They are disconnected from the long lines, which can be seen coiled up on a hook above my tool chest on the left.

I just lifted the ends of the short lines and tucked them up out of the way while I work on the car.
            Last edited by A Brit in Bama; Yesterday, 03:46 PM.

I see. Thanks for the explanation. I guess much will come to light once I get into the setup tomorrow.
          Last edited by TRick6; Yesterday, 07:00 PM.
          Best Therapy
          Zoom Zoom

Comment

You lucky dog Al. The humidity just broke - perfect day to assemble a QuickJack!
            Brian Cunningham
            1973 CF4325U Overdrive has been added
            "Liz's" Plate is: T-AH6

Comment

• TRick6
              TRick6 commented
              Editing a comment
              Yep, it is a beautiful day. I am having a slow breakfast and taking my good ole time in doing so. Pandora playing Boz Scaggs, Incognito, Stevie Wonder, Snarky Puppy, Chicago, Tower of Power, Steely Dan, WDR Big Band on the sound system.

QuickJack no 5000

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,848   Posts: 483,207   Members: 8,807   Active Members: 533
          Welcome to our newest member, Emogenlink.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
          X