Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Gas assist bonnet and boot lift kits from LBCarCo?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey guys! I hope that everyone is well and healthy in the midst of this damned pandemic. I finally did get the pistons installed on the front and rear and they work very well. I also pulled the transmission and replace the front seal which I think was cut on the sharp teeth of the input shaft the last time it was taken out for a reseal at HMS. I never could get in touch with Eric so I had a friend come over to help me do the lifting and it was out and back in over the course of a long day this fall. This time we put a plastic bag over the input shaft and lubed it well and the seal slid right on with no damage at all. Just waiting for something else to start leaking now. Anyhow, a happy and healthy new year wish to everyone.

Comment

Always good to see you Paul. Thanks for the update and happy new year.

Cheers,
      Tush
      81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
      73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
      62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
      60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
      https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Originally posted by brosky View Post
        Hey guys! I hope everyone is well out here on the forum. It's been a long time since I was here and I have a question. Has anyone tried the gas cylinder lift kits from LBCarCo yet? I definitely would like them for the trunk or boot, but the hood or bonnet sounds good as well. Thanks in advance as always!!

I can't get the link to work directly but it's under "This Weeks Specials" once you click on the main page below:
        Revisiting this topic. I decided to try the Clark & Clark Bonnet Lift kit - installation took a little longer than I anticipated.
        After reading the installation instructions, I went out to take a look at the car:

The LHS hinge looked fine, but the RHS hinge....how did I not notice this before?
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2553-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	90.3 KB ID:	543020 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2554-2.jpg Views:	0 Size:	65.6 KB ID:	543027
        A new hinge was available for $65 from TRF, but I'm on an economy kick at the moment, so I bought a piece of 16 ga. steel from Lowes, cut the requisite piece, put it into a bench vise and hammered a "lip" along both edges, then used a press and some wood pieces to bend the metal the requisite 30 degrees.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2568.jpg Views:	0 Size:	148.3 KB ID:	543025 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2570.jpg Views:	0 Size:	185.7 KB ID:	543026 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2572.jpg Views:	0 Size:	121.6 KB ID:	543023 Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2576.jpg Views:	0 Size:	109.4 KB ID:	543022
        After some filing and general finishing, the new part turned out quite well. Somewhere around here, I found that the supplied attachment screws for the front ball stud assembly (5/16"-24) wouldn't fit, as the corresponding holes in the hood were threaded for 5/16"-18.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG-2578.jpg Views:	0 Size:	79.0 KB ID:	543024
        The original from the LHS hinge on the left, the supplied screw on the right. I contacted Robert Clark, who assured me that the supplied UNF screws had worked for everyone up to now - it's possible that somewhere in my '72's checkered history, someone had retapped the holes for UNC. A trip to Lowes for the requisite 5/16"-18 screws took care of this.

Not wanting to spend more cash than I needed, I was loath to fork out for a custom color-matched rattle can, so I took the OEM prop rod off to Michaels crafts to look for as close a color match as I could find to paint the new hinge part:
        Click image for larger version  Name:	Krylon.jpg Views:	0 Size:	30.8 KB ID:	543019
        Found this (Krylon Gloss Naval Blue, $6), which proved to be a very serviceable match for Sapphire. I wouldn't use it for body work, but for touch-up in the engine compartment? Absolutely.
        Click image for larger version  Name:	final.jpg Views:	0 Size:	113.6 KB ID:	543021
        So, struts installed - it's still amazing to see that heavy old hood lift with a faint hiss from the struts. An excellent upgrade!
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Litespud; 07-21-2021, 11:24 PM.
        Dave C
        '72 Sapphire #CC82360UO
        Chapel Hill NC

Comment

One of the best upgrades out there, did my bonnet and boot 2 years ago. Made the old girl feel almost like a modern?
          CF1634U+O Pimento/Chestnut
          2nd owner, since 1975
          Now in Fair Oaks, CA

Comment

Nice Work Dave!

cheers
            Tush
            81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8, 1973 Ford Capri
            73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
            62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
            60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
            https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Real nice job of fabricating that brace, Dave.
              I only used 1/2 of the boot lid stut kit. That was enough help for me.
              I don't think I'm going to do the bonnet, though
              Driving a 1973 TR6
              Doing ZS carb repairs
              email kencorsaw"at"aol.com

Comment

Gas assist bonnet and boot lift kits from LBCarCo?

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 39,577   Posts: 490,758   Members: 29,608   Active Members: 7,488
              Welcome to our newest member, ufrauraxuxor.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X