TR6 dashboard

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• TR6 dashboard

Does anyone have any suggestions about refinishing a TR6 dash versus buying a new one?

If the original finish is too far gone, it gets difficult, since it is very tenacious, and the underlying veneer is very thin and is easily damaged.

You may not have much to lose by trying to overcoat the dash with a new layer of varnish.

Re-veneering is an option.

Ed
    For just a little more, you can do it yourself!

Comment

I just re-veneered the dash on mine this summer:
      http://bill.fidean.net/projects/dashboard-veneer

It's a lot cheaper to refinish than to buy new, even if you have to put on a new layer of veneer, but it does take a bit of woodworking knowledge. That said, i'm not an expert and i'm pretty happy with how mine turned out. I probably have less than $100 in it, partially because i'd never done veneer before and needed some additional supplies, but still 1/3 or less of the price of a new one. Just be prepared for it to be a 2-3 week project (especially if you use something like marine varnish), and that depending on the condition of other things around/behind your dash, could lead to a lot of side jobs while you have it apart.
      Bill Connell
      1969 TR6 CC28790
      TR6 project log
      St. Paul MN

Comment

Done that and this is a nice winter project. You also have choices from many veneer.
        Triumph TR6 - 1974 - Mimosa, O/D, black interior.

Comment

I re-veneered my dash a couple of years ago. My brother in law has a thickness planer that we used to remove the old veneer. I chose quilted maple, and use polymerized tung oil for a matte finish.
          Derek M
          Ontario, Canada
          ’74 Sapphire blue CF22200U
          Fan Eliminator. ZS Carbs (my rebuild)
          Poly Bushings, RG Trailing Arm Brackets.
          Gear Reduction Starter, Pertronix,
          Rebuilt/mild upgrades engine (TR5 cam)

Comment

Doing same project. Would also recommend using Epfanes for your protective coating. Used on other projects, worth the money. Vacuum bagging is the way to go if you have someone who will do it for you or if you are talented as Ed you can make one. Interested what glue everybody used especially the ones that where cold pressed. My dash was veneered on both sides. Did you guys reveneer the back? Bill nice right up on your dash project.

Comment

The back of my dash was in pretty good shape, I just needed to reglue one loose piece of the top layer then I painted it brown again. I got my glue and veneer from veneersupplies.com. It’s a very large bottle of glue, if you’re anywhere near the twin cities i’d be happy to share my supply.
              Bill Connell
              1969 TR6 CC28790
              TR6 project log
              St. Paul MN

Comment

TR6 dashboard

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,946   Posts: 484,117   Members: 9,385   Active Members: 639
              Welcome to our newest member, Lamarrq.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
              X