"Easier" stuck hood release

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Easier" stuck hood release

So my TR6 has been sitting for a few years due to a 'hot' ignition wire shorting behind the dash, frying multiple wires. I bought the AAW harness a few years back, and am now getting at it. Hood release cable stuck in sheath. I tried multiple ways to open. Going through the front fan shroud, underneath over the starter, even trying to unscrew the hood (doable with the right tools). Since I am going to rewire, I thought, "let's just try the Buckeye Triumph method". Pulled the glovebox, air vents, and got to the firewall hole with the choke cable, etc. running through it.

I went about making the tools described in the Buckeye article with no luck getting the hood open. I then tried a different suggestion, using an 18" screwdriver with a 90 degree bend, and using that for the Buckeye approach. No luck.

After 2 hours of making tools and failing, I tried a simple approach. 8" flat bladed screwdriver through that same hole, and bingo, had it opened in 30 seconds.

If you're in there behind the dash, it's simpler than people make it out to be. The release is straight behind that firewall hole, so a little wiggle to the left of the screwdriver blade, you can 'feel' the contour of the latch, and where the lever is, push the base of the handle to the left, and easy peasy.

Maybe we should all spend time thinking simple!

Now, on to the wiring harness. I'll probably be reaching out to some of you here for support.

Brett

While you are in there, invest in one of those inexpensive "emergency" hood release kits. They cost next to nothing, take almost no time to install, and mine works so well that I haven't pulled the release canble in years. Good luck with your project.

Comment

Originally posted by SeaSix View Post
      So my TR6 has been sitting for a few years due to a 'hot' ignition wire shorting behind the dash, frying multiple wires. I bought the AAW harness a few years back, and am now getting at it. Hood release cable stuck in sheath. I tried multiple ways to open. Going through the front fan shroud, underneath over the starter, even trying to unscrew the hood (doable with the right tools). Since I am going to rewire, I thought, "let's just try the Buckeye Triumph method". Pulled the glovebox, air vents, and got to the firewall hole with the choke cable, etc. running through it.

I went about making the tools described in the Buckeye article with no luck getting the hood open. I then tried a different suggestion, using an 18" screwdriver with a 90 degree bend, and using that for the Buckeye approach. No luck.

After 2 hours of making tools and failing, I tried a simple approach. 8" flat bladed screwdriver through that same hole, and bingo, had it opened in 30 seconds.

If you're in there behind the dash, it's simpler than people make it out to be. The release is straight behind that firewall hole, so a little wiggle to the left of the screwdriver blade, you can 'feel' the contour of the latch, and where the lever is, push the base of the handle to the left, and easy peasy.

Maybe we should all spend time thinking simple!

Now, on to the wiring harness. I'll probably be reaching out to some of you here for support.

Brett
      Lots of clever ways to open the hood, as a secondary or primary method. Before all of these came to light (for me) I could see something happening to where the original style cable could fail. Foreseeing this, I drilled, then soft plugged, a 3/8 inch hole in the firewall in line with the wire pull. Since the later TR6's had the cowl grill type opening, a couple of screws and it's out. , I found that a couple of practices using the shown tool, an old sun visor rod, easily pops the hood open. A screwdriver provides the leverage, as shown.Again, just another way to do this without removing lots of stuff under the dash, or rigging up another lever or cable of sorts.

The blueish mesh seen in the background is a piece of furnace filter, used to keep bugs from entering the cockpit fresh air stream. I also use a large piece of this type of air filter up against the outside of the radiator, which can easily be removed and hosed off and replaced.

Dick

Last edited by dicta; 09-17-2019, 03:51 PM.

Comment

• SapphireBlue72
        SapphireBlue72 commented
        Editing a comment
        That's rather brilliant. Hope you're feelin' better.

"Easier" stuck hood release

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,850   Posts: 483,234   Members: 8,829   Active Members: 553
    Welcome to our newest member, leriswels.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
    X