Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bartman
    replied
    Brian - plan to be there - it's on my calendar.

Leave a comment:

• boulderroller
    replied
    Bart, are you planning to show that wind blocker at the CTR gathering next Sunday 9/8 at Wickham Park?

Leave a comment:

• BobbyD75TR6
    replied
    Originally posted by TRIFIK6 View Post
    ....Again my only concern is to be able to tighten it enough so the screen does not wobble. Not sure if having the vinyl between the brackets would provide that.
    Randy
    Won't be a problem.... as I siad up above I ran mine that way for many years.

Leave a comment:

• bartman
    replied
    Randy, if you put a grommet on the boot cover, it is generally rigid enough to allow enough "clamping force" on the screw to keep everything tight. I agree with you that without the grommet, the vinyl may not allow you to get tight enough.

Leave a comment:

• TRIFIK6
    replied
    Thanks Bart for the detailed picture. So you just punched a hole in your cover, correct. Since I do not use a padded cover, I would not require the spacer. Again my only concern is to be able to tighten it enough so the screen does not wobble. Not sure if having the vinyl between the brackets would provide that.
    Randy
    Last edited by TRIFIK6; 08-30-2019, 11:22 AM.

Leave a comment:

• bartman
    replied
    Randy - here is a picture of the "bits" I used to anchor the wind blocker. The plastic spacer is from McMaster Carr - the spacer is 1 ½" OD and 1 ¼" long; the knurled screw is 2 ½" long.

The knurled screw can be made tight enough to keep the wind screen stable. I tried smaller OD spacers but they let the screen "wobble". I bought the largest OD spacer I could to provide a large bearing surface for the bracket. The grommet I used rests on the spacer and the screw clamps everything down tight - I use channel-lock pliers to get it good ant tight. So far, so good.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyD75TR6
    replied
    Originally posted by TRIFIK6 View Post
    Hello Bart, I have the exact same issue. I wanted to do what you have done except I am concerned the wind blocker would vibrate or oscillate because of the material between the bracket and blocker. Can you let me know if your set up is solid? Maybe a picture with it off?

Randy
    1972 TR6
    Hi Randy... if you've got a stock cover just go with the grommet and it'll be fine..... mine was like that for about 10 years until I started making the padded boot cover. With the padded cover you need a short spacer under the cover, to "lift" it even with the rest of the cover..... it's an aesthetic thing..... it just looks better with the spacer..... and no problems with either set up.

Leave a comment:

• prasnick
    replied
    He does great work! Got mine installed today.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7671.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	368.8 KB
ID:	525914Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_7672.jpeg
Views:	0
Size:	322.6 KB
ID:	525915

Attached Files

Leave a comment:

• TRIFIK6
    replied
    Hello Bart, I have the exact same issue. I wanted to do what you have done except I am concerned the wind blocker would vibrate or oscillate because of the material between the bracket and blocker. Can you let me know if your set up is solid? Maybe a picture with it off?

Randy
    1972 TR6
    Last edited by TRIFIK6; 08-28-2019, 08:31 PM.

Leave a comment:

• BobbyD75TR6
    replied
    Thanks Bart... you did a great job with the snaps and the windblocker

Leave a comment:

• bartman
    started a topic Bobby D does it again!

Bobby D does it again!

After installing a Morspeed wind blocker, I was unable to fully fasten the boot cover on the Triumph. I talked to Bob Danielson about making a custom boot cover, and after some discussion he suggested one of his padded boot covers with "grommets" inserted to allow the Morspeed fastening pins to go through. The results are spectacular; the vinyl from his inventory (a Mercedes Benz product, I believe) is much nicer and way heavier than the stock cover. I did not want to destroy the original Triumph Boot Cover, so I took his advice and he made me a padded cover.

After I installed snaps (from McMaster Carr) and grommets (same source), I just had to buy a couple of plastic spacers and longer fastening screws. One advantage - the wind blocker is now 1 ¼" higher, providing better coverage. I'm very pleased with the results.

The photo on the right shows the old boot cover (original TR6 issue) having to be routed around the blocker mounting. The left two are the Bobby D creation. Great job, Bob!

Bobby D does it again!

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,946   Posts: 484,118   Members: 9,386   Active Members: 639
Welcome to our newest member, EthelLok.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
X