Original Seats -- Covers are mint, but seat foam is falling apart

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Original Seats -- Covers are mint, but seat foam is falling apart

Assessing my newly acquired TR6, and one of the cosmetic items that I'd like to try and address this winter is re-doing the seat foam. However, the original 1976 seat covers are still in mint condition so I don't want to do anything destructive to those. Is it possible to strip the seats and replace foam, while maintaining the original covers, or is that impossible, and I'll be in for new covers too? If that's the case, I'll likely live with it for the foreseeable future - I'd like to keep that as original as possible.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for improving the seat support in a non-destructive manner, I'm all ears. Thanks!

The prior owner did just this on my car. Installed new diaphragms and foam and then reinstalled the original vinyl seat covers. So it can be done.

Comment

Good to know it's doable - I haven't pulled the seats out yet so have no idea what fasteners etc are involved, but knowing it's possible is excellent. Thanks!

Comment

Originally posted by rswafford View Post
        Assessing my newly acquired TR6, and one of the cosmetic items that I'd like to try and address this winter is re-doing the seat foam. However, the original 1976 seat covers are still in mint condition so I don't want to do anything destructive to those. Is it possible to strip the seats and replace foam, while maintaining the original covers, or is that impossible, and I'll be in for new covers too? If that's the case, I'll likely live with it for the foreseeable future - I'd like to keep that as original as possible.

If anyone has any tips or tricks for improving the seat support in a non-destructive manner, I'm all ears. Thanks!
        I think new foam & diaphragms will really surprise you. Making mods for better comfort may be tricky especially since you’re wanting to keep original seats and more importantly covers. If you’re wanting lumbar support then look into Suffolk or Miata seats
        So much rust, so little time

64 TR4 Overdrive Surrey
        67 GT6 Mk1
        68 TR250 Soon to have Overdrive & Surrey
        71 TR6 Hardtop Soon to have OD
        81 TR8 Injected Automatic...the LAST Automatic

Comment

Originally posted by tr250 View Post

I think new foam & diaphragms will really surprise you. Making mods for better comfort may be tricky especially since you’re wanting to keep original seats and more importantly covers. If you’re wanting lumbar support then look into Suffolk or Miata seats
          That's what I'm aiming for -- keep the original covers, but just do new foam and diaphragms. I don't want to change out the seats, especially since I have a factory tonneau cover that goes over the headrests too. Just want to get some padding back in them

Comment

I think those covers are pretty much clipped or hog ringed in place, so it should be very doable with some care to avoid rips. The earlier seats have a lot more glued-on parts (at least in my ‘69). New foam and diaphragms will make a big difference.

Get new hog rings and cut the old ones as you dismantle the seats. Do one at a time and take lots of pictures. The Victoria British and Moss references are helpful, as is Ed’s writeup: http://bullfire.net/TR6/TR6-56/TR6-56.html
            Bill Connell
            1969 TR6 CC28790
            TR6 project log
            St. Paul MN

Comment

Original Seats -- Covers are mint, but seat foam is falling apart

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,945   Posts: 484,110   Members: 9,381   Active Members: 637
            Welcome to our newest member, Lamarqe.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

Working...
            X