Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

First time buyer needs inspection help, TR6!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• First time buyer needs inspection help, TR6!

Hello!
    I'm currently in the process of purchasing my first triumph tr6 in the Toms River NJ area, and was looking for someone who is experienced enough to help assist me in inspecting the car when I go to look at it. My father has many years of experience with tr6's but due to a recent back injury he is unable to get on a plane to accompany me to the inspection. So essentially I'm looking for someone who can replace my fathers expertise and help me identify issues with the car that I may not notice. The tr6 I'm looking at has been restored and appears to be in very good condition aside from a few minor details and a "very small" oil leak. Id really appreciate any help with my dilemmas!

Good idea Max.

If you have any photos you would like to post, we can help you identify the good and the bad here as well.

Cheers
    Tush
    81 Alfa Romeo Spider Veloce, 81 Triumph TR8
    73 Triumph TR6 CF4874UO, 68 Triumph TR250 CD5228LO
    62 Triumph TR4 CT6716LO, 60 Triumph TR3A TS69891LO
    60 Triumph TR3A TS64870LO, 59 Triumph TR3A TS44836LO
    https://www.youtube.com/user/cheftush

Comment

Is that the restored 1974 Sapphire Blue TR6 with tan interior and 67,000 miles?
      Walt
      CC80954U '72 TR6 original condition/sold 16.500.
      poolboy rebuilt the Z-S Carbs. Philstr6 rebuilt both rear hubs.

Comment

these are some of the photos that were posted, I've also attached the eBay link.

https://m.ebay.com/itm/Triumph-TR-6/152772368287?hash=item2391f1579f:g:3tMAAOSw-5dZ~JOb

Any feedback you be greatly appreciated.

Comment

Yes!

Comment

Is that the restored 1974 Sapphire Blue TR6 with tan interior and 67,000 miles?
            yes!

Comment

You do have some 6-Pack members up your way kind of. Stuart Honick south or Ross Lomonico (SP) north or you can try George Hughes at the Jaguar Service in Flemington NJ (formerly Don's Jaguar) maybe one of them could help you out.

Comment

The E-bay listing ended early because of an error. Wonder what that means?

The car is also on the Classixfieds, here on 6-Pack, that's where I saw it.
                It looks good in the few photos shown. Of course, you need to see about 30 photos to see everything.
                He is asking a lot of money, but it does take a lot of money to restore.

As I see it, there are two issues.
                One is figuring out the actual value in today's marketplace. Best way I know is to list the car on BAT, and see where bidders take it.

Two is seeing enough of the total car to make a decision.
                That can be done with photos and a comprehensive test drive, testing all electric items (he says everything works).
                Test the overdrive, the windshield squirter, the clunk in reverse & first gear (what's that noise?), stopping in a straight line.
                Was the engine ever apart? what is the compression of each cylinder? was clutch replaced when OD was added?

We would need to see photos of all portions of the underside (t-shirt & trailing arms) of the car; the engine bay from all directions; the pedal cluster area, the whole dash, seating surfaces; trunk floor with spare removed; grille from the front, all body panels, the rear deck to fender gap.
                Walt

Comment

Doesn't look to bad from the pics, can't see how much though.

There is a buyers guide in the main menu that you can download and take with you and we do have a surrogate buyers network for members in the members section. You might consider joining to get access, heck of deal for an expert opinion.
                  I72 Pimento w/overdrive

Comment

Looks like our Mr. T!
                    '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                    Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                    Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                    Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                    Redlines always.
                    My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Maybe try contacting these folks - http://www.njtriumphs.org/

Good luck and let us know how it shakes out.

Comment

Hi Max,
                        I know this car well. This was my mechanics car. He had it for close to 20 years. Please PM me for more information. I also know the current owner, great guy.
                        Regards, Stuart Honick
                        1976 Mimosa Yellow TR6, sold.
                        1971 Royal Blue TR6

Comment

A good indicator to me is that I dont see many/any noticeable major kluges.

Other than the Battery cutout and alloy cover (both benign), pretty straight forward originalish engine compartment.

I thought that large front license frame was on later cars, but not sure. Still no points off.

Shows basic and clean.
                          '74 TR6 CF13007U aka "Mr. T"
                          Custom Blue (Delft-Like) and New Tan (Formerly Mallard and New Tan)
                          Points, Ballast Bypassed, Bosch Blue Coil, Moss Cobalt Wires, Champion RN12YC plugs.
                          Peaks and tweaks, but the spirit of Original
                          Redlines always.
                          My wife is the Driver, I'm just the Mechanic....

Comment

Here's a link to the Classixfieds ad, with asking price:

http://www.6-pack.org/j15/index.php/classixfieds/ads/view/1353-1974-tr6-for-sale

Here's a link to BringATrailer recent offerings of TR6's, with sale prices:

https://bringatrailer.com/triumph/tr6/
                            Walt

Comment

Thank you everyone for the quick responses, it is greatly appreciated!! I will definitely reach out to the names that some of you have suggested so far.

My major concern at this point is the oil leak, without seeing the car I won't be able to tell for sure where it's coming from, but can any of you tell me what I should do to survey the leak to the best of my ability?

Comment

First time buyer needs inspection help, TR6!

Collapse

Search

Collapse

There are no results that meet this criteria.

6-Pack Car Club of the Americas Statistics

Collapse

Topics: 38,727   Posts: 481,791   Members: 8,397   Active Members: 267
                              Welcome to our newest member, ajiupoconiiv.

Upcoming Events

Collapse

Working...
                              X